Wreaths on doors are a sign that Christmas is well and truly on its way. You will construct a richly textural wreath using a variety of fabrics, ripped or cut and maybe some with gathering. The choice of fabrics is up to you so you could do something using traditional colours (red green, gold cream) or you could update and go with denim and ticking; it’s wide open! You can embellish your wreath with all manner of decorations such as baubles, bells, felt shapes and fir cones. Cinnamon sticks and essential oils add a lovely seasonal aroma.
Your Swedish-inspired star will be made using easy hand-pieced patchwork, and can be left unadorned or decorated using hand embroidery, beads, buttons and a little appliqué. You will then back it, stuff it and viola!, the perfect topping for a tree or gift. A two-piece star will also be available as a simpler option.
- rotary cutting fabric
- ripping fabric
- knotting and gathering fabric
- simple hand-pieced patchwork
- appliqué using bondaweb
- hand embroidery
- using buttons and beads decoratively
- finishing off items to a high standard
This course is designed for a range of abilities including beginners.
Materials are not included in your course fee. Some materials will be provided by the tutor. The approximate cost of these will be £8 payable to the tutor during the course. This covers a wreath former, embroidery threads, a selection of cotton fabrics for appliqué, calico, bondaweb, stuffing, buttons beads, ribbon, cinnamon sticks and essential oil. The items you will need to bring with you are listed below.
We do not have the facilities to take card payments in the workshops. Please remember to bring cash or your cheque book if your course involves buying materials from the tutor.
Please bring with you:
- fabric scissors
- a selection of fabrics for the wreath, eg. printed/woven cottons are good. (Nothing too heavy as it won’t knot or gather successfully) netting, gauze, velvets, denim, burlap. This is a very personal choice but a mix of weights makes for more interesting textures. You will need approx. 1m in total.
- embellishments for your wreath eg. large buttons, fir cones, Christmas baubles, silk flowers
- sewing thread and needles and pins
- ribbon, if you have some in particular that you would like to use – the tutor will also bring ribbon
- calico will be provided for your star, but you might like to bring some printed/woven cotton fabric
What students have said about this course/tutor:
"Learnt a lot in a short space of time. Christine is a wonderful tutor." - Anon
"I had a fantastic time. Christine was excellent and so helpful." - C Davis
"Great fun, great tutor." - J Durnan
Christine is an inspiring tutor with a wealth of teaching and design experience and a holistic approach to creativity. Her unique creative profile includes 12 years as a graphic designer at the BBC and being Head of Film and Animation at Kingston University, author of ‘Contemporary Needlepoint’ and Kodak’s Young Photographer of the year (some time ago!). She has also won a clutch of international awards and been nominated for a BAFTA. Her textiles have been shown at the Contemporary Textiles Gallery in London and her graphic work has been published in various journals and books. As a freelancer, she has made 80 velvet scarves for ‘Mary Poppins’ on Broadway NY and even filmed a funeral for the Queen. She is passionate about lettering in all its many forms and enjoys sharing her enthusiasm with her students. With her appearance on the BBC's Make! Craft Britain, Christine Green has put paper cutting firmly in the middle of the crafting map. See her work at www.christinegreencrafts.co.uk.