Where Are We?
Ardington School of Crafts is based in the beautiful village of Ardington, Oxfordshire, on the edge of the Berkshire Downs. The village has an award-winning pub, village store, tea room and bistro. Ardington has a long association with traditional crafts; once being home to the workshops of potters, saddlers, stone masons, picture framers, wood carvers and seat caners.
We are within easy reach of Oxford, Newbury, Reading and Swindon. Ardington is also just 7 miles from Didcot, which has a fast rail service to London Paddington, Oxford and the West Country.
Things to See and Do
If you are staying at one of the many local B&Bs, you might like to stay an extra day or two to take in the local sights, or bring your partner, who can explore the area while you are busy on your course.
There are many things to see and do nearby. Ardington House, home of the Baring family, is in the village and well worth a visit. Also close by are the attractive market towns of Wantage – birth place of King Alfred – and Abingdon, the longest continually inhabited town in Britain.
Ardington lies along the Ridgeway National Trail. The Ridgeway, a route used since prehistoric times, offers walks through ancient landscapes, rolling downland, secluded valleys and woods. Nearby at Uffington is the country’s oldest white horse, as well as Wayland’s Smithy, one of the most impressive and atmospheric Neolithic long barrow and burial chambers in Britain.
The medieval city of Oxford, with its beautiful architecture, museums, art galleries and shopping, is only 15 miles away. Just outside Oxford, visit the magnificent Blenheim Palace, on the edge of the Cotswolds. You might even like to nip to London for the day. It’s only 45 minutes by train from Didcot to London Paddington.
How to Find Us
Ardington School of Crafts
Tel: 01235 833433
Didcot Parkway rail station is nearby and just a 15-minute train ride from Oxford and 45 minutes from London Paddington.
Brown’s Taxis offer very competitive rates to Ardington students who need a lift from the station to the school: 01235 554554. Please call to arrange in advance. Taxis from other firms can be found at the taxi rank outside Didcot station.
We are on the local bus routes for Abingdon to Wantage and Didcot to Wantage. Buses from Oxford to Abingdon run every 10–20 minutes.
We are within easy reach of Oxford, Newbury, Reading and Swindon with convenient access from the M4, A34 and A417.
Approaching from Wantage:
· Leave Wantage heading towards Didcot on the A417.
· After 1¾ miles, you will see Ardington, East Lockinge and Home Farm signposted to the right. Take this turn.
· After ¼ mile, take the road to the left signposted to Home Farm and Ardington.
· After ½ mile, you will see Home Farm on your right. Ardington School of Crafts is just after this on your left.
Approaching from the A34:
· At the Milton Interchange (just outside Didcot), take the exit signposted to Wantage and A4130.
· Go straight on at both sets of traffic lights, staying on the A4130.
· At the next roundabout take a right onto the A417 towards Wantage.
· Stay on the A417 through East Hendred and West Hendred.
· One mile after leaving West Hendred, you will see Ardington signposted to the left. Take this turn.
· Follow the road as it curves to the right (High Street). It goes down into a dip – bear right onto School Road. Ardington School of Crafts is about 200 yards along on the right.
We have ample free car parking in front of the school. Please do not park on the road. Thank you.